Saturday, May 13, 2017
Monday, July 25, 2016
‘I grew up in this church’:
A video story of faith formation in Tanzania
Friday, April 1, 2016
Saturday, September 5, 2015
Thursday, April 16, 2015
This summer we will be visiting our supporters in July and August. We plan to visit congregations and other community gatherings to give a presentation on our work for the ELCA in East Africa. Our exact itinerary has not been set, but we will try to visit as many of our supporters as possible. Our supporting congregations are scattered across much of the United States in Florida, Illinois, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Dakota, and Texas. If you would like for us to visit your town, please send us an e-mail at Joe.Troester@ELCA.org. Feel free to forward our blog to others who might be interested as well. Please contact us as soon as possible, because dates (especially Sundays) are limited.
Thank you for your prayers and support.
Joe and Deborah Troester
East Africa Regional Representatives for the ELCA
P.O. Box 1770, Arusha, Tanzania
Photo Caption: Outline map of the United States showing States with our supporting congregations.
Joe and Deborah are ELCA missionaries in Arusha, Tanzania, where they are the East Africa Regional Representatives for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Their daughter, Christa, is a senior at Rain Forest International School in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
Monday, December 29, 2014
- Mid-January–Mid-March: Swahili Language Training in Morogoro, Tanzania (see photo above).
- April: Deborah visited Madagascar with Dr. Mary Marete of ELCA World Hunger to evaluate ELCA-sponsored agricultural projects and theological schools.
- May: Joe traveled to Uganda to visit the Adjumani Refugee Camp, which is run by Lutheran World Relief for refugees from South Sudan. In addition, he visited the ELCA-sponsored malaria project in Uganda. We represented ELCA at Lutheran World Relief meetings in Nairobi, focusing on helping refugees in South Sudan and Kenya.
- June: We organized the visit of ELCA East and Southern Africa Area Program Director Rev. Benyam Kassahun to meet ELCA personnel here.
- August: Elizabeth Hendrickson, a new ELCA missionary arrived in Nairobi. We helped provide her some orientation to East Africa; Deborah represented ELCA at Lutheran Communion of Central and East Africa meeting in Nairobi.
- September: Attended the dedication of the ELCT’s newest diocese: Lake Tanganyika, and the consecration of its first bishop, (see photo above); visit to the Iringa Diocese, including Bega Kwa Bega and Iringa University.
- October: Hosted ELCA Global Campaign visit to Tanzania; attended partner meetings in Kenya (JMCK) and Tanzania (LMC Roundtable); attended Pare Diocese’s 100th Anniversary; Visited ELCA volunteer teachers Rev. Mary Jo Maass and Michelle Mercado.
- November: Joe assisted with the installation of a new well in Mlenga Parish in Dodoma Diocese; Deborah visited Mwangaza Education Project with Rebecca Duerst of World Hunger. Thanksgiving with East Africa personnel (see above photo).
- December: Joe visited water projects near Iringa with Water to Thrive and St Paul Partners.
- Joe drinks coffee and enjoys a break from his Swahili studies at the Morogoro Junior Seminary. A big “Asante!” (Thank you!) to all our teachers there!:
- Faustina Nillan, head of the national women’s program of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania, and Deborah at the dedication of the new Lake Tanganyika Diocese.
- Joe (in blue shirt), together with colleagues Stu Smith of Ohio and Naftal Mandi of Tanzania, prepare a pump test for a new well in Mlenga Parish of Dodoma Diocese.
Saturday, December 20, 2014
Christmas greetings from warm and sunny Arusha, Tanzania! After completing our service in the Central African Republic (CAR) in 2013, we received a new call as ELCA’s East Africa Regional Representatives, based in Arusha. While both Tanzania and CAR are in Africa, there are some differences: Tanzania has a population of 49 million, while CAR has only 4 million. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania has over 6 million members, bigger than the ELCA! It’s wonderful to see how God is working in Tanzania. The ELCT is one of the fastest growing Lutheran churches in the world! Our job as ELCA East Africa Regional Representatives involves developing relationships with both the Tanzanian and Kenyan Evangelical Lutheran Churches, relationships with their companion ELCA synods, representing the ELCA at regional meetings and events, and supporting our ELCA missionaries and volunteers in whatever ways we can.
- For a peaceful election year in Tanzania: 2015 will see a Constitutional Referendum in April and Presidential and Parliamentary elections in October.
- For an end to violence and terrorist attacks in Kenya so that our missionaries and church partners there may do their work in safety and all may live in peace.
- For peaceful relations between Christians and Muslims in East Africa and throughout the world.
- For safe travels during Christmas/New Year’s vacation for our daughter Christa and for many of our ELCA colleagues who are traveling.
- Praise and thanks for God’s blessings in 2014!